Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Two in Diapers

By Rebeca
Typical morning view in our yard

It has been six weeks since Daniel arrived. At times it feels like we just brought him home. Other times, I can feel the toll of each one of those days in my aching body - the lack of sleep, the achy back, arms that are tired of having a baby on tow at all times, feet that have been standing for too long. And there are other times, the hardest times, when regardless of what trick I try, my baby is still crying, and  I look at Daniel and think of how many months ahead of us until we can catch our breath, and I feel I just can't do it.
Daniel turns 1 month with big brother by his side
And the truth is, I can't do it... not by myself. The good news is, I don't have to. The hard news is, I don't have to. Self-sufficiency and performance are my "cucos," my boogie-man. And getting up every morning to a task that is beyond my capacity is undoing me. In an attempt to feel good about myself, I decided (needlessly) to go to the grocery store with both kids alone last week. I honestly just wanted to see myself "pulling it off," and I had a plan. I had just gotten out of the car, when Katherine, and old Vida Joven girl, came running to me from across the street to say hello. We caught up, and I showed her the kiddos, to which she said, "¿estás loca? ¿qué estás haciendo sola con los dos en el super?" Are you crazy, what are you doing by yourself with both of them at the grocery store?. She helped me get them out of the car.

As David walked in, holding my hand, one of the guys that packages groceries, rushed to our aid, and put him in the cart. On our way out, another man who works at the store, took us all to the car, packed the groceries, and helped with both kids.  As I think about the whole outing, I am reminded of a conversation I had with my mom in her later weeks. She was at a point where she couldn't do anything by herself anymore, bedridden, in constant pain, and she said, "you know? I've realized, this is too heavy a burden to carry ourselves... and the Lord is giving us His body! His Church!" And He did! Day after day we witnessed so many people come to our help during a painful and trying time, people we hadn't been in contact with for years.

David being a goofball

I am way in over my head with these two boys, and it is too heavy of a burden to carry alone, but that is what Jesus calls us to - to share our burdens with one another. I know He will provide, just like he did that day, with the people around me to go through this season of life. I pray that I will have open eyes and an open heart to see, accept, and cherish the gifts He sends.




No comments:

Post a Comment